The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Happy Birthday, Grandma

My paternal grandmother is turning 80 today. Quite a milestone, I'd say. I can't imagine myself at 80, 50 is about my limit at the moment. My grandmother doesn't read my blog, so wishing her a happy birthday here isn't going to mean much to her. She pretty much gave up on computers, I think, when Hurricane Charlie blew her house away with her computer in it. In the last few years, she's lost her house (and basically everything in it, moved to a new state and had to share a very small house with her husband, son and daughter-in-law, broken her hip, survived cancer, had her dog pass away, got her first great-grandchild, started building a new house, got a new puppy and started a new job for the first time in about 50 years. It's been eventful, to say the least. My grandmother is a beacon of faith to our family - really the foundation for my father's faith and our family. She's the one we jokingly (sort of) say has the direct line to God. I adore her, and while I am sad she lost her stuff when the hurricane hit, I'm so glad she's moved closer and we get to see her and my grandfather more. She's a fierce board game competitor and probably one of the three nicest people on this planet. (My maternal grandfather is another, leaving one space open for someone I haven't met yet). Happy birthday, Grandma. I love you.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home