The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Dentist Days

Yesterday I went to the dentist. Why is it, that with all the advances in modern medicine, with technology advancing like crazy in every direction in every field, we can't come up with something better than Scary Metal Scraping Hook? There has got to be a better way. Come on, now, all you inventors looking to make bazillions - drop your Pet Rock wannabes and get cracking on the No-touchy Plaque remover. I know you can do it. And please, will someone tell me why we can take X-rays of any other body part just with your basic point and shoot but for teeth, we have to put a giant sharp-cornered piece of plastic inside? They do lung X-rays all the time, you never hear the guy say "Now inhale this pointy thing so it's in your right lung . .." No one likes going to the dentist, I'm sure, but those who know me may also know my special dread of it. Years of bad dental experiences made me bordering on the phobic, and only the thought of having to set a good example for my son finally compelled me to make the call last year and set up an appointment (for several years I hadn't had dental coverage, a convenient excuse -then, once I did, the fear of what they'd find after so many years of missed appointments held me back.) I actually picked up and dialed the phone at least three times, hanging up in a panic, before I finally made that first appointment. Now, I've got THREE under my belt, and very few tears at any of them. Yesterday I realized - I am no longer terrified of the dentist's office!! I give credit to the practice I go to, called The Dentistry. Their motto is something like: We Cater to Cowards. Boy howdy, they do! Also, I want to mention very nice Dental Hygenist Ben who told me that I have beautiful eyes (blush) and Carl, who is the front desk greeter/appointment scheduler/office manager kinda guy. I call him Gay Carl in my head, not because he's swishy, but because he fits the original meaning of the word, which according to Dictionary.com is "having or showing a merry, lively mood" or "given to or abounding in social pleasures". He's the absolute most pleasant person to talk to on the phone, and I hate talking on the phone. For my previous appointment I was running a few minutes late. As I pulled into the parking lot, my cell rang - the Dentistry. I picked it up "Hi, sorry, I'm pulling in now!" Carl said "Oh, Jami dear" (he always calls me that)"I was just calling to be sure you're okay. If you're safe, that's all that matters. See you soon!" He calls to confirm appointments "Hello, Jami dear, it's Carl. We have you for Monday at 10 - still good? Oh wonderful! See you then!" See, how can you NOT want to go? My doctor is Dr. Rudolph and I like him just fine. Generally I wouldn't do ads for anyone, but if they can get me to not hate the dentist, they deserve something.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Oh, how cute is Carl? I like my dentist, but we call him Blinky because he blinks alot, in rapid sucsession. It's a bit weird, but he's super nice and always ask after my mom and dad.

    Yes, why can't they get up-to-date with those horrid films they put in your mouth for Xrays?

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    The dentist is okay. There isn't a lot of scraping involved. But sometimes, just sometimes, I believe I get the hygenist whose had the bad day and decides to take it out on my mouth.

    Ouch!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home