The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mommy Confessions

I don't want to turn this blog into a record of my mommy-hood, but I have a confession to make. My son is almost one, and I still rock him to sleep every night, gently put him in his crib and sneak out. I know, I know, I'm supposed to teach him to fall asleep on his own, put him in the crib awake but drowsy, blah blah blah, but I don't. Here's why: 1. Because rocking your sleeping child in your arms is one of life's great pleasures. Maybe it's selfish, but I can't think of anything that feels as indescribably wonderful as rocking Eddie to sleep. At night, he's cuddly and smells good; we sit in the rocker, in the dark and I sing to him. Most times, he wraps one arm around my neck and buries his face in the other side of my neck. His other arm flops down around my arm and it's like the longest, sweetest hug you can imagine. I can feel his soft breath on my neck and his chest rising and falling. He makes little noises and snuggles against me. It's the most perfect thing ever and I'm not giving it up until I have to. 2. He's not going to be cuddly and rockable forever. Someday, sooner than I'll be ready for it, my sweet baby will be a crazed 9-year-old who won't want to hugged and cuddled or sit in my lap. Why waste this time just so he can learn to go to sleep himself? 3. Regardless of whether or not he learns to comfort himself to sleep now, it's not going to make that much of a difference. Learning to fall asleep when you're a year is way different from when you're 3 and you can't fall asleep because there are drooling tentacle beasts under your bed, and probably some sort of zombie in the closet. Him learning to fall asleep without being rocked now isn't going to dampen his imagine when the lights go down. So what's the point? He'll learn to sleep on his own when he's ready. So there you go, my True Confession of my "bad" parenting. And I'm going to keep it up, too.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    That's not bad parenting. I think it's sweet.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    No kid goes to college with his mom rocking him to sleep, or not toliet-trained, or not riding without training wheels...it all goes by so fast, why let what "they" say even enter your mind? If we all parented the same, it would be like a creepy alternate society! Like the Atwood book, The Handmaid's Tale.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Andrew McAllister said…

    Every kid should be so lucky as to have such "bad" parenting. I vote a hearty "Aye!" to your continued mistake. Later, when the inevitable going to bed alone time comes, you'll probably be interested in the best parenting tip my wife and I ever received, called The Five-Minute Drill. It might save you hours of sleep some night - it certainly did for us.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    EDW: Right on. I tell my new mommy friends, read all the books you want, then throw out the stuff that doesn't work for you and use your brain - that's why God gave it to you.

    Andrew: Excellent advice, thanks! That sounds like the perfect solution - when the time comes, we'll definitely give that a go.

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger Movie Guy #1 said…

    My wife has recently come to the same conclusion with our nine month old daughter. So, you're not alone.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Movie Guy #1 and Mommy Dearest: Sounds like we're starting a revolution - Viva la Baby Rockin' Moms!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home