The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

How Super Are You?

Stan Lee, God of Comics, has a new show on the SciFi network, called "Who Wants To Be a Superhero?" I'm not reviewing it here, I already reviewed it here. The show's okay, but the first challenge was a neat one. The wannabes were told that they'd have to change quickly and discreetly into their hero costumes in a crowded area and then race to a specific location. However, Mr. Lee had a bit of a twist in mind. The finish line was in a public park and near it, on the only path to it, he'd stationed a little girl, crying and saying "I'm lost! Someone help me!" and the like. Some of the heroes were so focused on the task that they clearly didn't even see her. One appeared to glance at her (though she claims she didn't see) and kept going. Several stopped to help - my favorite was Major Victory, who not only stopped and helped look for her mother, but then carried her to the security station after bellowing "LEAP INTO MY ARMS!" I wondered - would I stop? I mean, let's not kid around, I love to win. I'm all about winning. Even if you don't know we're competing, I'm going to win. But a crying kid. Gotta tell you, there's not much that upsets me more. Ask any friend or relative who's been embarrassed by me at a mall standing around by a small seemingly unattended child asking loudly "Who is this child's adult?" until one shows up. If I'm going to be honest with myself and my loyal blog readers, I'd have to admit that I'd most likely have been one of the ones who looked at the girl, looked at the finish line, then went back to the girl. I want to say I wouldn't even think of going on, but I might be just a little conflicted. Now, honestly, would you miss her completely when the finish line is in sight? Glance over and run on by? Stop, but not immediately? Or not even think of taking another step until she found her mommy? Would you have made Stan Lee proud?

5 Comments:

  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would want to be someone who would help a lost child. I have forever looked after the kids in my neighborhood. I would NEVER want to leave a lost child. Lori

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Stop for the kid. I'm not going to win the race on speed, anyway. But heart? I'm your girl.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Stop for the kid.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jim McKee said…

    Grab the kid, tell her you'll find her mommy in a minute or two, then carry the kid to the finish line.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Jim - I actually thought of that, too. Like "Okay, we'll find your mommy, but first we're going to run over there for just a minute . . . ."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home