The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Mean People Next Door

Our office just got new neighbors. I usually try not to rush to judgment (starting, of course, from the point that strangers are generally dangerous and to be avoided when possible), but already I can tell we are not going to be best buddies. And it's them, not us. My company consists of 4 full-timers, 2 part-timers and one "consultant" who was a VP until a few weeks ago when he went to work at a real company just because they are stable and make money and stuff. So, we only have half of an office space. The other half was empty, but now we have neighbors moving in. First they did all kinds of noisy construction, but for that, I can forgive. THEN they took our kitchen (okay, it is technically on their side, but now we're not allowed to use it). THEN they locked the door to their side, blocking our access to the side door, making us take the long way in and out of the building. THEN, they started badgering Tim and Greg with questions they don't know the answers to: "Where do the phone lines come into the building? What do you mean you don't know??" NOW they are walking through our office, all the time, because to get to the bathroom, they have to walk through us. You see how unfair it is? They can block our exit, but we have to let them through to pee. It's disconcerting to be in a locked office area and keep having strangers stroll by. I face the door (never liked anyone sneaking up behind me), so I see them coming and going. I give them the "I know you're a stranger" polite half-smile so they know I'm watching them. I've considered announcing them as they go by "Gonna go pee again? Geez, buddy, you been to the proctologist lately?" I'll try to make friends, I always do, even though it seems they don't want to be friends with us. Of course, they haven't heard Tim singing How's Your News yet, either.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Oh, no!

    Not new neighbors!

    And stealing your kitchen?

    WTF?

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    I know, can you believe it? They built a wall to prevent us getting to the kitchen, then installed a door a locked it. Jerks.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    You should make them pay a small fine everytime they walk past you to the bathroom.

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    I like that idea!

    The pee toll!

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    hmm, yes, this has potential . ...

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    So many good ideas! I was considering just putting a lock on our side of the door and telling them to pee in the sink. :P

    The word verifications are hard to read because they are trying to make sure you're human and not a really smart monkey or evil robot. Or so I'd assume.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home