The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Pork Chop, Cookie and Roy

I hope the title caught your attention. Names are important, aren't they? I mean, when people find out you're having a child, one of the first things they ask is "Do you have names picked out?" What your parents rarely get to pick is what people actually call you. I'm not just talking about Eddie instead of Edward. I mean not-your-name nicknames - these fall into two groups, "Things" and "other names". Things are, well, things - not names. Like Bunny, Pumpkin and Spike. "Other names", are the ones that aren't really your name, but are still a name - Babs, Butch, Smitty, etc. The reason this comes to mind is that Coworker Tim and I recently named another coworker "Pork Chop". Pork Chop is a very nice lady who comes in twice a week and complains that our company has no money. She shares a given name with a woman who Tim and I are not particularly fond of. When we discuss the second woman, Pork Chop was getting perturbed, thinking we were talking about her. So, we decided (more me and Tim) that she needed a nickname. Thus, if we say <real name deleted> we don't mean her, and if we say "Pork Chop" we do. I think it's cute and fun, and she's not fat, so it's not a piggy joke. We'd suggested "Bubbles" which she flat out rejected, and then, when I suggested "Cookie" (it must have been nearing lunch), she balked - "It's someone else's nickname." Me: "Everything is someone else's nickname." After much prodding, Pork Chop's admits that her husband's friends call him Cookie, and she doesn't know why. I can't believe this. If someone called the Husband "Cookie", I'd sure as heckfire know why, and possibly before agreeing to marry him. But she won't even guess. Once she'd admitted this bizarre and personal fact, she was so flustered that when Tim said "How about Pork Chop?" She readily agreed. I hope it sticks. I have a history of giving people nicknames that stick, including Roy who is actually a woman named Amy. Good nicknames have a good story, and are something you can live with being called. I won't tell you the story of Roy here, it's already getting too long, and I also could share a funny story for a guy named Huff and a really "needs work" story for Sparky. My Phi Sigma Pi nickname was "Frieda" (which never really stuck) - props to anyone who can figure out why. Someday I'll discuss the pain of having a name that IS a nickname. . . .

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    My parents call me "Cherry" it's a play on my real name. One lone person still calls me Flibba - looong story. And of course Loki calls me CeeCee. Also a ply on my real name.

    You're lucky I don't call you James. I call my cousin Jamie that nickname. I'm not sure if she like it though.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Several of the guys I knew in high school called me "James". One in particular to whom I was very close always did. Of course, I was skinny and shapless, so it's possible he just thought I was a boy . . .

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Frida - as in Kahlo? Or Frieda, as in Peanuts? Cause naturally curly hair is good, and one long eyebrow is not.

    I mostly get called variations on my given name - nothing too exciting. My daughter is Emily, and people call her Emmy (she's almost 2). It drives my husband insane. I think it's kind of cute, but I also accept your point that it doesn't matter what you name your kid, someone will call them something else.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    edw wins: Frieda, as in Peanuts - I have the Naturally Curl Hair. The other one discussed for me was "Stepchild" since said hair is red.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lori is a nickname my parents came up with to use instead of my given name. Jami,you know what that is.

    I also had a neighbor,Gloria,Jami another one you know about,who called me Diamonds for years. I called her Pearls. She gave me a plastic pearl bracelet one year for my birthday and the rest is history. Nicknames DO stick!!

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    I also have this tendency to give people nicknames that end in "y" or "ie." Rolls off the tongue better.

    I haven't managed to give a nickname to my friend A. or her daughter C. I do call her "Cutie" or "Monkey" or "Squirrel." Mainly because her mom does.

    I do sometimes call her Little One. A. really wanted to call her Lottie as a nickname when she born, but it never took.

    Though, Jami, I don't think I would call you James. :)

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    I call my son "Bug" sometimes. It's a combination of him being cute as a bug and my mom telling me I had to stop calling him "booger" or "boogerface" which I only did because he really was very boogery for awhile there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home