The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jami and the Bloodsucking Undead

Though Halloween is upon us now, vampires have been very "in" for a few months now, and I'm not entirely sure why. I don't know if it started with Buffy the Vampire Slayer (BtVS, to those in the know) or with the Goth movement or just because the idea of not aging is oh-so-appealing to our society, even at the cost of one's soul. I've never been a big horror fan; I don't like being scared. I liked BtVS, preferred Angel and haven't even watched Moonlight, the new Angel plot-alike, which I can't comment on, having not watched it. I have however recently read a few very good books which have vampires and are, I promise, not even a little scary. I reviewed Stephenie Meyer's Twilight on Circle of Friends review, so I won't be repeating myself here. Meyer has completed the trilogy, so now's a good time to start them. I also want to recommend You Suck, a Love Story by Christopher Moore, which I read and will be reviewing also on Circle of Friends. I'm not going to say much more on that one here, except it has possibly the best ending to any vampire book I've ever had. Both of these books are set in the present day with email and cell phones, unlike some of the more traditional vamp stuff. The vampires have real problems and concerns, more human than super-natural in some cases. So, if you want a good book, not scary, about soulless blood-drinking protagonists, check these books out and have a very Happy Halloween!!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    There's a ton of those modern vampire books now - I like the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. It deals with the evil aspect really well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home