The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Origins of the Cynic

I wrote here about my optimistic cynicism. Thinking about it, I think that the cynical side started with my first "real" job, working at McDonald's. So, now starts a who-knows-how-many part series on how working there destroyed my faith in the human race - or at least starte the downfall. The first thing that shocked me when I started working there, and bothered me the entire time I was employed there, was the assumption by many of the customers that if you work in fast food, you must be a complete moron. No need to deluge me with your stories of how some ding-dong at Wherever botched your order, gave you the wrong change and couldn't understand why you complained; I am most definitely not saying that all fast food workers are Mensa candidates and I have worked with my fair share of yahoos, however, don't start with the premise that you're talking to an idiot. When you do, and speak accordingly: "Okay, now listen closely - are you paying attention? I want a cheeeeeeeeesee-burrrr-gerr. Get it? a burger with cheese, okay?" you are just setting yourself up to get worse service. I never hurried to prove to someone that I wasn't as dumb as they thought. No, I didn't serve them (much) slower, but I certainly wasn't motivated to go above and beyond. And, while I never, never did this, there are people who will spit in your food if you upset them enough. I would have refused to serve someone food that had been so tainted and the one time I saw it happen, the perpetrator was immediately, instantly fired, but it does happen, so why risk catching someone on a bad day? The flip side to this coin are stupid customers (or ones who simply aren't paying attention) who choose to blame you for their incompetence. This is an actual conversation I had working in the drive thru: Customer: I want fries and McNuggets. Me: Did you want the value meal? Then you get a drink? C: No, I don't want that many fries, just a small fries. M: Okay, and how many McNuggets? 6, 9 or 20? (at the time you couldn't buy the 4-piece) C: What?? M: Did you want the 6 piece, 9 piece or 20 piece McNuggets? C: Just one. M: Um one? One McNugget? C: Yes. I just need one. M: I'm sorry, we don't sell them individually, the 6 piece is the smallest. C: I have to buy six?? M: If you want the kid's meal, it only comes with four. C: How big are these? M: Um, they are, I guess like an inch and a half, two inches long. C: But I am looking at the picture of the meal and it only has one and it looks regular-sized. The menu says "McNugget Sandwich" and the price. (The menu says "McChicken") M: Oh, you want a McChicken, the sandwich! I thought you said McNuggets. C:Yes, that's what I said, I want a McNugget Sandwich. McNugget. One McNugget Sandwich, just like on the sign here. M: Right, okay, pull around. C: Okay. You really should listen more closely.(Since there are always at least two people listening to the order, it was later confirmed that he always said McNugget.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    McNugget sandwich? What planet did this person live on? Even little kids can name you all the McDonald's food!

    I try to be super nice to fast food people, because both my husband and best friend worked there.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Oh, god.

    This is one of the reasons why I hate people. Just admit you said the wrong thing already! Sheesh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home