The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I Am the Woman of My Dreams

I write about dreams fairly frequently, because I have such very vivid dreams, which I almost always remember, several nights a week. The last two nights I've had dreams of being in dangerous situations. This is certainly nothing new to me, I am in constant peril in the dream world. Generally, I wake up moments before my gruesome demise and then spend a few minutes going over what I should have done, or what I could have done even at that point to save myself. Scary as the dreams are, I've always figured that they're my brain's way of setting up contingency plans for bad situations. However, what made the last two nights different was one simple change. Both times, I took quick, decisive, appropriate action and saved myself! The dream Monday night involved a sudden violent situation, and, much to my waking delight, I reacted exactly as the self-defense experts recommend. I'm not going to go into too much detail, because 1. it doesn't matter and 2. it's actually somewhat personal, the event, so I'd rather not. Suffice it to say, in the moment I was in the most danger, I reacted, not necessarily without thought, but without the internal monologue and what-ifs. I was being attacked and I instinctively knew what to do, how to handle it, and I saved myself. By the time sirens rang in the background and the police arrived, I had incapacitated my attacker. The one last night involved a different sort of dangerous situation, one in which my relationship to someone had put us both in danger. Again, using the knowledge I've gained from my love of true crime stories and the like, I managed to get myself out of danger - the person who got us into that situation, well, it was his fault and since it became a me-or-him situation, I have to admit, I chose me. But I have a baby to think about and it was that guy's fault anyway. What does this all mean? Why do I think it's blog-worthy? Because it made me feel so strong. It made me feel more confident that I would be able to handle what comes my way. I don't plan to go out and put myself in grave peril to validate this theory, but my thinking is - that part of me knows how to respond. The "auto-pilot" is more prepared than ever before. Or maybe it means that I feel that I am finally taking control of other parts of my life that I should have. Or maybe my subconscious is getting tired of being murdered.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    I have dreams like this too, and they make me feel strong! Maybe it's all those things you mentioned. It's totally blog-worthy though!

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Glad to see that your subconscious knows that you can extricate yourself from dangerous situations! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home