The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Another Life Lesson From Pop-Pop

My grandfather is in a nursing home. He probably won't move back to his home; his body is breaking down, his mind is failing. Today as I visited him, our pastor also arrived to visit. After we chatted for a bit, the pastor asked my grandfather if he could pray for him, and what he'd like prayer for. I thought of all the things I'd ask for in his position: to be healthy and strong again, or at least pain-free, to go home, for a clear mind, to at least be able to walk and care for myself. My grandfather gathered his thoughts, and said that he'd like to thank God for the things he still does have and can do, and that he'd like to be a blessing to the people around him. He didn't phrase it quite that clearly, but that's what he wanted. Even in pain, frustrated by his helplessness and confused by his situation, Pop-Pop gave thanks, and hoped to make someone else feel better. It's so easy to pile our troubles up around us, a blockade against the needs of others. I need, I hurt, I want. We forget how much we have and how much we have to offer. My grandfather may be fuzzy about a lot of things, but maybe he sees other things more clearly.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks, it helped to read your blog.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Absolutely lovely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home