The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mmmmm, Meat

Today I missed breakfast, because I was in a big hurry and in the mornings, I am rarely hungry. It's all to easy for me to be running out of the house and think "I don't need to take food" because I am not hungry at that moment. (This is also why I get caught in the rain without an umbrella frequently "Yes, it's really cloudy, but it's not raining now . . .") Of course, when this happens, by lunch time, I am ravenous and cranky. It's bad. Sleepy might make me a little grumpy or grumbly, but hungry makes me angry and mean. I was downtown around lunch time, starving and in a hurry to get back to the office. There's a row of fast food places by my bus stop to get to the office, Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's, Wendy's, Arby's all in a nice row. Dunkin Donuts was out, I needed real food. What to choose, what to choose? Normally, I'd probably go for McDonalds, because they are cheapest, greasily satisfying and are part of the Upromise thing, so really, I'm helping put Eddie through college by eating my fries. Hungry as I was, though, I knew that a McDonald's Cheeseburger, even a double one, wouldn't do it. Wendy's double-cheeseburger is meatier, but I went for the Arby's. The regular old-fashioned roast beef sandwich. And was I glad I did. This is why I will never be a vegetarian - that first big bite of juicy delicious MEAT, sinking my teeth through it, really tasting it - even at that point, my stomach knew, really knew that everything was going to be okay. Sorry, but there is no vegetable, fruit or grain that can be that satisfying to bite into when you are famished. As much as I love a good crunchy salad, it's not the same. Grilled cheese - good, but not instantly soothing to the belly. Yes, Meat is Good. Now the sandwich is gone and I've got to get back to work. But my belly is full and happy and I'm pleasant again. Later, if I have time, my theory on why I am fat and that's okay.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Jim McKee said…

    Ah, you experienced what I like to call a "meat buzz". Best encountered with a BK Double Whopper or a Wendy's Triple.

    ;-]

    (BTW, the "word verification" word was "rudrxa"... All I could think of was: "Ask your doctor if Rudrxa is right for you. Rudrxa is not to be taken by pregnant women or intoxicated animals.")

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Jim, that was funny!

    I get meat cravings, too, but we don't have Arby's here - isn't that sad?

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    .....mmmmmmm......meat........

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jami said…

    Jim: that's hilarious! I've never been a huge BK fan, but those new Stackers do look appealing.

    EDW: No Arby's??? That's appalling!!

    PW: Word.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Yeah, seriously EDW! NO ARBY'S?!?

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Here's a weird thing about Jersey, and my area of Jersey in particular: we don't have that many chains. Sure, we have Mickey D's, but we have to drive to find a Taco Bell, and a close Wendy's is a new thing for us. Any other kind out there in the rest of the country? Forget about it. Maybe there's zoning laws, or maybe it's just that instead of fast food we have tons and tons of Italian/pizza places and diners.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home