The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Jami Gets a Time Out

It's 11:30pm and I'm enjoying the sound of my typing, because normally I can't hear it. Usually when I am trying to get something done on the computer, Sesame Street is blaring in the background and both boys have decided that although they've been completely engrossed in whatever activity they've been doing and they begged to watch Sesame Street - they need my immediate and undivided attention. But now, both boys are sleeping, the Husband is getting ready for bed and I get a few moments with the TV off and just the soothing clickety-clack of my thoughts being committed to computer screen. Ahhhhh. Today I woke up annoyed. No real reason, even got more sleep than most nights, but none-the-less, I woke up already with my back up. A few minor Argh moments didn't help: car wouldn't start, kids not cooperative, tripped on the stairs and skinned my knee - twice. Good things happened, too, as is usually the case for those who look for them. Father-in-law fixed the car, kids played together, nice sunny day (even if it was too cold). But I couldn't shake the blahs. After dinner when I looked at the dishes on the table and thought about trying to put it all away while the baby screamed to be nursed, I decided I needed to go into Time Out. I sent myself to my room. In the dark, quiet room I crawled into my bed and wrapped my Woobie around my head. Instant relief. I never got it before. Never had a particular lovey or blankey or stuffed thing growing up. But somehow ended up with a Woobie as an adult and now I get it. I could have thrown the blankets up over my head, same basic effect, but it wouldn't have been my Woobie, and it wouldn't have worked as well. 15 minutes in the bed with the Woobie blocking out the world and I felt 100% better. Went downstairs to find that the Husband and boys (but mostly husband) had cleaned up after dinner! It's the magic of the Woobie. To read the story of me getting my Woobie as an adult, see here and here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger MommytoAJ4 said…

    I never had a blanket or stuffed animal that I was attached too either. At the age of 27 my future husband gave me his Lambie. I still sleep with her. At the age of 31 I acquired a blankie and I cannot sleep without it. I understand! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home