The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Jami and Yuki

a random memory in three conversations In college I met Yuki, a nice Japanese girl whose English was a bit weak. The first time I chatted with her, she said "Pardon my English, it is not good." Jami: Oh, your English is fine. It's certainly better than my Japanese. Yuki: You speak Japanese? Jami: (after a long pause) uh, Hi! (if you don't know, "hi" is "yes" in Japanese) Yuki: Oh good! (she rattles off a long stream of what I assume is Japanese) Jami: Um, nope, sorry. That was all the Japanese I knew. Oh, and "Domo Arigato". (in my head I add "Mr. Roboto!") Yuki: You are right. Your Japanese is more not good. A few weeks later, after class: Yuki: Your skin is very white. Jami: Um, yeah. It sure is. Yuki: You'd be very popular in Japan. Girls want to have very white skin. Jami: Really? (I assume it's a trying to look western thing) Yuki: Yes. If you work outside, your skin gets dark. That means your family is poor. So girls want light skin so they look like a good family. You look like you have never worked. Jami: Thanks. I guess. During a class debate, Yuki had trouble defending her position and basically went silent. I took up her fight and did my best. Afterward, she thanked me. Yuki: This is why I like you, Jami. You are a tree. Jami: Did you just call me a tree? Yuki: Yes. Where I am from (Yuki used this expression to mean her hometown, not all of Japan), women are not supposed to be trees. Trees are strong and don't . . . (she swayed to one side, bending at the waist). Women are flowers, they are pretty, but the breeze blows them. Jami: Thanks, Yuki. Yuki: I am trying to be a tree, too. But maybe one that sways a little. And has flowers. Jami: I think you're really wise. Yuki: No, people just say that when they can't understand you. Yuki and I both graduated that fall. I never heard from her. I hope she's having a good life.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you try FaceBook? Everybody's on FaceBook? :)

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    That is funny. Very very funny.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Jami said…

    Patrick: I haven't checked FaceBook. I didn't look on MySpace, either. I can't imagine how many Yukis there might be. And I kinda like not *really* knowing, ya know?

    PW: I did enjoy talking to Yuki. I always felt like her straight man.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    I love the tree with the flowers on it! That's a great metaphor.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home