The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Jami is Math Challenged

I love my new iPod, but this isn't about that. A mere quarter-century ago, I was good at math. I enjoyed it, even, as much as first grader can. Then second grade hit, and that's a whole other post, the Teacher Who Killed My Love of Math, so let's just say that by the end of the following year, I totally despised math in all its forms, even though I was still fairly decent at it. By the time I survived Trig in 11th grade, I couldn't even claim that. Some people have a head for figures, they can just see the numbers. Not so much for me. And here's why this is a problem: I found myself in the store yesterday trying to figure out if soap on sale - 3 bars for 2.49 is a better deal than "Buy One Get One Free" 4-packs for $5.98. So that's 3 bars for $2.50 or 8 bars for $6.00 - or, okay, lets say 6 bars for $5 or 8 for $6. So that's not much help - okay, they are 80ish cents each for the three or (8 goes into 60 - ennnnhgggh 7? that's 56 right? I think so) 70ish cents for the BOGO? Oh heck, forget it, I'm getting the bigger one. I think it's better, but even if it isn't, I won't have to come back as soon. Sometimes the store has a "per ounce" price, but that doesn't apply to specials, and then I'm screwed. People figure out stuff in their heads in front of me all the time. I never get to diagram out a sentence for them. Where's the love for the English majors?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Loki is getting better and better at math.

    Perhaps it's because he has to teach math.

    Or maybe he genuinely loves it.

    Me? I really don't care one way or the other. I can see the beauty in it, but it doesn't excite me as much as English or Geography.

     
  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    I know! Let me tell you, randomly, about the themes in a book! I can do that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home