The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Monday, January 15, 2007

We Become Needy

Fear not, loyal readers, our family is not on the edge of poverty. However, we did receive - in a roundabout way - a donation of groceries meant for a needy family. As M pointed out, we are a single-income family with a baby, so every penny counts, especially when the donation saves me a trip to the grocery store. Here's how it went down . . . . I teach Sunday School, and for whatever reason, my classroom has become the recepticle for all things that someone doesn't want, but doesn't know what else to do with. We've been the lucky recipients of such marvels as: a large console TV (working, but so old it wasn't cable-ready and had knobs), a broken lamp, a bag of used (but clean, I think) socks, a bag of various fabric pieces, books, basketballs and a chalkboard. I've asked, begged and threatened people to get this to stop, but it continues. A couple weeks ago, these bags of groceries appeared with no explanation or owner. Apparently, on Christmas Eve or Christmas a kindly family gave some member of our congregation the bags with the request that they be distributed to a needy family. A few people seemed to have vague knowledge of this, but no one is really sure. Anyway, our church is not really set up like that. There's a local food bank - we're not it. We don't have any members of our congregation who are currently in the financial straits that would require a gift of groceries. Since no one really knew what was in the bags or who they were meant for, the bags were deposited in my room and promptly forgotten. Yesterday, after questioning as many members as I could corner, I decided to take them home. No one had any better suggestions. This brings me to my main point - everyone should volunteer, donate, and help out where they can, but please, when you do so - use your head. If you want to donate food, find an organization that does that and ask them what's appropriate (our bags included meat products, which had been sitting unrefridgerated for weeks by the time I got the bags), and then, donate something you'd actually eat. Having been around the food bank, I've seen how people clean out their cupboards and donate the stuff no one actually eats - cans of artichoke hearts, pumpkin pie filling, spam. If you're donating furniture, call ahead, be sure the place TAKES furniture and ask when they can accept it. For clothes, most places just pitch stuff that'd really stained or torn - you're just wasting their time and money donating that. For all your stuff, check out the FreeCycle in your area - get rid of your old stuff and you even get to meet the person who really needs it. You can even find stuff you want on there, sometimes. So, thanks to the family who donated to us, we do really appreciate it, especially the bread, which I'd have had to pick up at the store on the way home. The "chocolate-flavored chip" cookies have an odd taste, but the baby likes them. And the rest is all being put to good use.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Paperback Writer said…

    Well, that was nice of the annoymous family.

    I like to donate old clothes to Goodwill. Food stuff? I wait till Pitt has a food drive.

    I don't have a lot of time to donate, but money...I like to donate when I have the an extra bit here and there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home