The Very Important Thoughts Of Jami

The incredible wisdom, wit and observations of Jami.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jami and the Overshares

For whatever reason, I'm one of those people that friends, family and strangers feel the need to share with. It's good and it's bad, depending on the person and what's being shared. I'm a pretty good secret-keeper, and I am sure (for the friends and family, anyway) that may be a part of it. But regardless, I'm that person. Here's a tip, for everyone about talking to "that person" in your life. Just think a smidge before you share, because you can't unshare. A few years ago, having a discussion about fashion (and/or my lack of it) with a friend, she shared with me that she only wears underwear if she's wearing jeans. Everything else, she goes commando. Interesting, but not helpful in my life. Now, when I see her, I don't think "Doesn't Mary look cute in that?" I think "Well, no undies today." I'm not in touch with that friend at the moment, so the chances are low that she'll see this, but if you are reading it - sorry. I can't help myself. I am sure you had a point following the announcement, but whatever point you made is long gone from my head; what I remember is that you don't always wear panties, and for better or worse, I now know when that is. I've had friends, especially in college, share their boy/girlfriends successes and failures in the bedroom. Occasionally, this is to ask for suggestions on dealing with issues (no kidding, one friend asked how to kindly ask her boyfriend to stop whistling during sex) but often, it's just "girl talk" (side note: Guys, you think you talk. You don't. Girls share everything about everything and if you've ever done or said it, her friends all know it. Just saying) and when it's just idle chatter about something particularly unusual or embarrassing, it's stuck in my head forever. So don't tell me that your girlfriend is a crazy bed farter unless you want me to suspect her every time there's a bad smell. I am actually proud that people entrust me with their private thoughts and worries. I am glad to be trusted and trustworthy and to be able to help folks with problems they might not know who else to ask about. But I am just warning you - once it's out there, I can't go putting it back.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home